That red and green dotted brick of sugar known as a fruitcake is not the kind of gift we think one should give now that the holidays are truly upon us. We love fruit, and we also love cake, so it’s easy to think of ways to combine the two in a way that will not only be appetizing but also pretty. Should you choose to dish out sweets rather than gifts this year, try this cranberry and orange quick bread. It’s the new holiday fruitcake. We suggest doubling this recipe and freezing a loaf for later. You never know when a cranberry craving will kick in.
This also makes a great breakfast treat with coffee, tea or a cold glass of milk. It’s heavy enough to stick to you without weighing you down!
Cranberry Walnut Orange Loaf – Serves 8 to 10
2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
Zest of 1 orange
3/4 cup orange juice
Juice of 1 orange
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cranberries, chopped
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted*
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 cup cream cheese frosting
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup milk
1. Spray or butter the bottom of a loaf pan.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter or knife, add butter until incorporated.
3. Add zest, orange juices and egg until moistened. Stir in cranberries and nuts.
4. Scrape batter into loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-60 minutes.
5. Once bread has cooled, combine cream cheese, milk and lemon juice. Drizzle on top.
*Feel free to substitute walnuts for your favorite nut or omit all together.
Click HERE for the printable recipe.
Other recipes you may enjoy...
Let Them Eat Cake
It’s Time for Recipe Testing
The Best Way To Celebrate
We Told You So
Walking on Air