8-10 large potatoes
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for shaping dough
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for water
1/4 pound smoked ham
3 ounces pancetta
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon butter
1-1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
3 tablespoons butter
1 small shallot, diced
2 tablespoons flour
1 – 1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Kosher and pepper, to taste
1. Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces. Boil until soft, drain and set aside to cool completely and dry.
2. Mash potatoes with a masher or press through a strainer.
3. Meanwhile, dice the pancetta and ham and sauté with the onions in butter over medium to medium-high heat until lightly browned. Add allspice and set aside to cool completely.
4. Make the dough by adding the flour, egg, and salt in with the potatoes until it is well mixed and easy to handle. Add more flour if needed.
5. Dust hands and cooking top with plenty of flour. Roll dough into a long, sausage-like log shapes, and cut into 6-8 large pieces (depending on desired size of balls).
6. Shape each piece into smooth balls, about the size of a tennis ball, making a hole in the center with your thumb. Stuff with as much filling as you wish, close the hole, and reshape dough again so each ball is even. Then bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
7. As the water comes to a boil, make the sauce. Sauté the shallots and allspice in the butter over medium heat until onion becomes soft and slightly translucent, about 4 minutes. Add wine and let reduce slightly.
8. Stir in flour one tablespoon at a time, forming a thick paste. Slowly whisk in milk into paste until well mixed. Continue to stir over low heat until the cream sauce thickens. To thin the sauce, add more milk until desired consistency is reached. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Drop a few dumplings at a time into the boiling water, and let cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
10. Remove from water and serve with béchamel sauce, melted butter, and lingonberry perserves (lingonsylt).
Click HERE for the printable recipe.
Other recipes you may enjoy...
Screaming for Citrus
Split The Pea
Gabe and Chris’ Test Kitchen
The Duo’s Ethnic Exploration: El Salvador
Back with a Vengeance