We rarely do crafty food projects. In fact, I may be correct by saying that we never do crafty food projects. I don’t even want to tell you about the cake pop fiasco that happened when I attempted to make a batch for Amir’s engagement party. It was such a mess. When it comes to cake pops, some people are champions, and others…well, they get a “good effort” pat on the back. When it comes to chocolate covered-anything, now that is a place where we can keep up with the competition. When we were asked to replicate a cute and holiday-appropriate treat with only three ingredients, it was a no-brainer. The fact that you can do these on your own, with friends, family or children is what makes them an excellent holiday project.
Using Dove chocolate, red and green M&M’S and salted pretzels (use unsalted if you prefer), you can pretty much design any shape you want. Make Santa’s house, design a sleigh, craft a tree towering over gifts. The options are endless. Here, we have antlers based on this recipe. Melted chocolate coats the pretzels, they are aligned to create wonky reindeer antlers, and the chocolate candies serve as color, but also resemble holiday lights strung on a tree. If you look at the final image of these antlers on a plate, they look like winter tree branches decorated with lights. It’s very festive. And they are good of course.
Now we were not allowed to make any changes to the recipe, but you know the Duo. We always have some sort of opinion. Here are a few tips and ideas you may want to try if you replicate this recipe:
1. Unless you are truly watching your salt intake, use salted pretzels. Please. The salt plus the chocolate is the right pair.
2. Use dark chocolate for these guys. Milk chocolate and white chocolate would be fun and adequate substitutes, but they are both fairly sweet. Dove’s 71% dark chocolate, or anything darker if you are that kind of person, will be the perfect choice.
3. Experiment with the design! We gave you a few suggestions already, but we know you guys can think of others.
4. Keep them very cold until ready to serve or giveaway. The downfall to these guys is that they begin to soften at room temperature or melt once they sit in your hands. Eat them quickly, or you may find pieces of your antlers falling off.
You probably have a lot of treats on your to-do list this season, and we know that those are the kinds of things that keep you busy. Choose the easiest ones and put them at the top of your list. These antlers, or any chocolate-covered dessert, are probably the best ones to offer your friends, family and guests at upcoming parties. Click to sweeten the holidays with Silky Smooth Dove Chocolate. Have a great holiday season!
- 1¾ cups DOVE® Chocolate
- ¾ cup M&M’S® Brand MINIS®, red and green only
- 8 ounces pretzel sticks, broken
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Unwrap the chocolate and break into smaller pieces if necessary. Set them in a heat-resistant bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted, making sure the water in the pot does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Dip the pretzel pieces into the chocolate and begin to make antlers of various shapes and sizes. Top with M&Ms, using a little extra chocolate as glue to make sure they stay in place. Repeat with all of the pretzels and M&Ms.
- Transfer the baking sheets into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate sets. Remove from the paper and serve or decoratively wrap for gifts.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Mars via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Mars.
Other recipes you may enjoy...
Testing a New Ingredient
A Ray of Sunshine
Summer is Official
Celebration Is In Order
Tara’s Test Kitchen