It’s a return to thumbprints. We can’t believe we’d never tried to make these until this year! The first batch featured bittersweet chocolate, almonds and port wine strawberry jelly. For some insane reason, we only made a tiny batch of twelve, and that was, of course, regrettable. We had to make more. This new version is a nice switch–different nuts, a little spice, a crunchier coating and store bought preserves this time. Trust us when we say making your own jelly tastes better, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. And we had to have these cookies again!
Unlike our first batch of thumbprints, these cookies are eggless, so they have a crispier bite. The nuts have been ground and incorporated into the dough. We also tossed in a bit of honey and cinnamon for flavor and rolled the cookies in coconut for even for texture and crunch. For maximum bang, let the cookies come to room temperature before eating. Better yet, eat them in the morning for breakfast. Hey, there’s jam in there, so it’s like eating toast, right?
Strawberry Pistachio Cookies – 2 dozen
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup flour
1/2 cup pistachios, toasted and ground
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup strawberry preserves
1. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, honey and sugars until fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add vanilla and cinnamon and mix until combined.
2. Use a spoon to stir in flour and nuts until well combined. Cover and chill dough for at least an hour.
3. Spread coconut onto a plate. Scoop out cookiedough by rounded half tablespoons and roll in coconut.
4. Set on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and make a small indentation in each cookie. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden at the edges.
5. Fill cookies with a drop of jam. Move to wire rack to cool.
Click HERE for the printable recipe.
Other recipes you may enjoy...
Our Gift to You
Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough
The Duo’s Ethnic Exploration: Spain Versus Argentina
It’s Just the Little Things
Gluten-Free For You And Me