I made sure to share this cake with a few people. And a few days later, I made it again and ate it all myself. Let’s be real. I’m into cake. This pound cake is moist and tender with a dense, soft crumb. The cranberries add their signature sweet, tart bite, along with the bright lemon glaze that soaks into the cake’s top crust before settling into a thin, craggy layer of icing. In true Southern style, I used self-rising flour, which, if you remember, was also used in this Peanut Butter Banana Bread. You can easily substitute each cup of self-rising flour for one cup of all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
Enjoy this lemon glazed, almond and cranberry-studded cake the same day it’s baked, if you can’t resist. It is equally perfect after a couple of days. Just as moist and delicious.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 ¾ cups plus 1 tablespoon self-rising flour, divided
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ⅔ cup fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon milk*
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 9”x5” loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper, and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 ¾ cups self-rising flour and almond flour until combined. Be sure to break up any chunks of the almond flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, melted butter, eggs, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon oil and almond extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Toss the cranberries with the remaining flour, and fold into the cake batter. Pour into the prepared pan, and bake for 60-70 minutes. or until cooked through. Remove from the oven, and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake cakes, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk. Once the cake has cooled, drizzle the glaze over the cake. Sprinkle the almonds over the cake, and serve.
Other recipes you may enjoy...
Veganizing a Classic
Brûléed Marshmallow and Caramel Custard Tart
The Big Oil Switch
Caramelized Peach Chess Pie