If the world of vegetables was a high school, and the end of the senior year was upon us, the potato would take the award for most well-rounded. Not only does it offer a variety of flavors, sizes and colors, but it can be boiled, fried, baked, gratinéed, stuffed, mashed, stacked, pureed and smothered. It cooperates well with its peers, acting as a team player with a multitude of spices, herbs and toppings. The potato knows when to stay in the background and when to shine its light as the leader. It’s always prepared for the task at hand and rarely disappoints. That’s why we’ve chosen the tater to take the reins in this dish.
As many may know, the sweet potato is one of our favorites. We’ve featured it time and time and time again–just to name a few. For this recipe, we’re using the white potato as we didn’t need a sweet flavor for this dish. Use whatever potato you have on hand. We’ve already told you how great they are. Here’s another one for the Potato Ho Down!
Chicken and Cheddar Stuffed Potatoes – Serves 4
4 white potatoes, parboiled
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
1 tablespoon basil, minced
1 teaspoon thyme, de-stemmed
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons butter
2 chicken breast tenderloins, cooked and shredded
1. Rub potatoes with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and cook in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
2. As potatoes bake, mix half of cheese with basil, thyme, parsley and onion. Set aside.
3. When potatoes are done, slice in half. Scoop out potato flesh and put skins back on baking sheet.
4. Add potatoes to cheese mixture. Mash to break up pieces and combine ingredients.
5. Add butter and milk. Mash until fairly smooth.
6. Divide evenly between potato skins. Top with remaining cheese.
7. Bake for another 5-7 minutes until cheese melts. Remove from oven and sprinkle with paprika. Salt to taste.
Click HERE for the printable recipe.
Other recipes you may enjoy...
Roasted Squash, Apple, Bacon & Spinach Salad
A New Southern California Breakfast Duo
Obamanos Bar Treats!
Pull Out the Good Stuff
Please Pass Those Mints